Below is a photograpgh taken from my phone of my EDC, so I apologiese in advance for the possible bad quality.
As you must be aware by now EDC stands for every day carry: a selection of items that are on your person at all times, if you search EDC on a search engine or video sharing site you will probbly find many examples of very different versions of EDC’s, from big bags full of kit to small pouches with a belt loop or the “Altoids tin” with items ranging from pens, multi tools, blue tac to knives and guns.
I used to use a small mint tin until water leaked in destroying most of the items in there, so i found this empty hair gel pot which has a screw lid instead of the poor water resistent qualities of the average tin.
As mentioned briefly before the items youd expect to find in someones every day carry will vary from person to person depending on where the person spends a majority of thier time, common problems that arise for that specific person and the amount of time/ distance they are from ammenities. So as i tend to spend most of my time in towns, at friends, family, cities and generally not in the woods whered id rather be I carry whats shown below. ( I d o have a wilderness survival kit , a B.O.B. G.H.B and more… )
Here is the key to the image above… (some items may have more uses than listed)
- The main of the “pot”, this holds all of the items and could act to hold water or any additional items you may require.
- The “pots lid” obvious lid capabilities, and hopefully you can see there is a friction strip from the side of a match box superglued on to it.
- Selction of various plasters / band aids… and a pair of alcohol wipes.
- Two Ibuprofen and two Pro plus / caffiene tablets ( life savers )
- A sugar cube in tin foil, little pick me up for diabectics, in a worse case scenario, maybe you want an extra sugar in your coffee? Or perhaps you just fancy rotting your teeth?
- Cotten wool wrapped with small piece of wire, cotten wool can clean blood from a wound mop up liquids or be used as tinder if needs must.
- Some matches, I snapped off a third of the wood, and dipped the heads in hot candle wax to water proof them, when you need to use them, just pick the wax off…
- Chewing gum in tin foil, good for emergency sticy stuff, and for those emergency, “i wish i had some gum on me” moments. Weve all been there.
- Small magnet, keeps all the small magnetic items tidy in the box and is good for use as a magnet out of the box!
- Key ring ring, can be used as zip pulley, connect things together, hold rolled up paper etc, and jjust next to it hope fully you can see the back of an earring.
- Saftey pin for clothes bandages, slings or clothes when a button may have fallen of.
- Important numbers on paper, dont you hate it when your phones dead and you need to contact friends, or family at a pay phone or using a friends phone but cant remember the numbers?
- Two spare AAA batteries for my tiny maglite not pictured, connected on my keys.
- Spare sterile surgical blade, for cutting, paper, card etc.
- Small allen key as no one seems to ever have them this size when they are needed, plus good for prying open the back of my watch and other things.
- Screwdrivers, phillips and flathead, these were taken from an old multi tool and are perfect for an EDC.
- Small post it notes, if you need to leave a message, or just take down a number, you could just use paper, but I like the adhesive quality.
- Pencil sharpend small with eraser.
- Fishing hook wieght and fishing cord in tape to keep tidy, just nice if you end up somewhere where you can legally fish, tie to a stick and go fish!!
- A cable tie cut down a little to fit conviniently in my tub.
- Elastic band.
- Pencil sharpener in tin foil in a hair clip, hair clip is for spare and can be ued as emergency lock pic tool, requires hideous amounts of pateience.
- Needle for sewing.
- Thread, for sewing wrappend around another waterproof match.
- Tin/Bottle opener, one of the best inventions ever, imo.
- Another safty pin, different design.
- Two first class stamps, always need these when theres none around!
- Small sealable bag, this holds the medicle items map and scaple in it whilst in the pot.
- Map of area you intend to be in, this ones from a 2010 road atlas, but street maps may be more preferable, because not all of us have gps, tom tom and if we do, what if the battery gives up?
- This is a popper/presser, drawstring thing, could fix hood drawstrings, trouser/ pants drawstrings or anything.
- SD card adapter, the micro sd in my blackberry fits in here and can go in yoru laptop, best way to move loadsss of info.
Sometimes I like to add £5.00 maybe £10.00 if i know theres a possibility i may run out of money or like right now i dont have acess to my card…
Id just like to add, i havent bought any of the items in the picture above except the hair gel pot a few weeks ago, all the items were found lying around the house, so all together this has cost me less than £4.00 all in all, this is a great investment, thats all ways paying you back and theres a strangly satisfying feeling you get from when somone says “oh c**p where am i gunner get a BLA from, wish i had a BLA on me” and you can pull one out. “TA DAAA”
So, what do you think? Do you have an EDC? Whats in it? Do i have anything you dont? Or is there something you think i should have that i havent? If you dont have an EDC why not? what do you carry with you every day?